Friday, May 11, 2012

Mommy's Day MixTape

In honor of Mother's Day, I decided to make this playlist all about one thing- MOMS! This playlist is an impromptu Mother's Day gift to my mom, since I forgot to get her a gift, (Sorry!) Even though most of these artists have a not exactly complementary views on their own Mommy Dearest, the songs are the best of the best of songs about mothers. Here's to you, Mom!


PLAYLIST

1. Mother- John Lennon (This song used to make me cry every time I listened to it. John screeching at the top of his lungs about how his mother left him in the lurch with his oldoldold Aunt Mimi, who told him, "You know, John, you really can't make any money playing music", always just turns the waterworks on.)

2. Your Mother Should Know- The Beatles (This is the song every teenager can pretty much relate to. Hiding something from your mother that you really want to tell her, but you know that if you tell her, she'll pitch a conniption fit? Yeah, everyone's been there.)

3. Mama Said Knock You Out- LL Cool J (Is it wrong that this song reminds me of my own mom? Ha ha.)

4. Mother- Tori Amos (Of course, like most Tori Amos songs, I can't determine the EXACT meaning, but I do know that it's sad, like all of Tori Amos's other songs, and I know that Tori's probably none to pleased at Mommy.)

5.Superwoman- Alicia Keys (My mom put this on a mix CD we made the summer of 2008 of all our favorite songs of the year, and this was always her sing-along song.. And since it was written by Alicia Keys about her mother, it's a perfect homage. Also, nice Obama reference!)

6. I Want To Be The Boy To Warm Your Mother's Heart- The White Stripes (This song sounds so realistic to me, and it just makes me laugh. I can totally picture a young Jack Gillis, begging Mama White if he can marry her strange, somewhat mute daughter Meg, but her being stubborn, not wanting daughter to marry some weird, pale, Detroit boy who has an obsession with the number three and a remarkable resemblance to her daughter.)

7.Mother's Little Helper- The Rolling Stones (Hopefully, this song doesn't remind TOO many people of their mothers, considering it's a song about a pill-popper who takes "little yellow pills", to get through housework, complaining husbands, and whiny kids. Happy Mother's Day?)

8. I Think I'm A Mother- PJ Harvey (Endlessly creepy, considering the fact she sounds like she's being bound and gagged, but I love its subtle, edgy, almost masculine sound. Always count on our own Polly Jean to be wonderful and weird. P.S.- If you don't know if you're a mother or not, you're probably not cut out for the job.)


Comment if you think I forgot any! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. totally love PJHarvey.....and the ROlling Stones!!!!
    this is great....how about for the real nutty mothers
    BREED-DIRTY MOTHER~Nirvana Cover...LOL>>>>.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list, and I'm glad you didn't include the Misfits' "Mommy...." Here's a late Blondie song that fits your list: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXX8rUV4p9A That one's for Jodi!

    ReplyDelete